There are plenty of sailing schools from which to choose and we appreciate that it’s sometimes difficult for a potential customer to make an informed decision when browsing the various websites - so we thought we’d point out just ten of the reasons why we think you should choose us.
1. RYA Accredited Training School. Backed by over 30 years of sailing experience, we are a fully accredited RYA Training Centre. The RYA courses are carefully crafted module by module so as to deliver thorough training in a layered manner, each sailing course building on the skills and experience provided by the last course.
2. Tidal Sailing in the sunshine of the Mediterranean Sea. The RYA have recently announced that schools need not be in tidal waters in order to teach a tidal course. Some might argue that teaching a tidal course outside tidal waters is similar to learning to fly at night by only flying during the day - we make no comment. However, Gibraltar already offers tidal sailing in a very pleasant sailing area, drenched in Mediterranean sunshine for over 300 days of the year.
3. Gibraltar is a great base from which to learn both UK and Mediterranean mooring techniques and customs procedures. Located adjacent to Spain and opposite the Moroccan Coast, there is plenty of opportunity to practice stern-to berthing, traditional alongside berthing (UK style) and proper passage making. Where else can you visit three countries and two continents in a weekend?
4. Great facilities and regular, cheap flights to and from the UK and Europe. Gibraltar airport is just a 5 minute drive from our base at Queensway Quay. You can see us as you come in to land, although we’ll forgive you if your attention is grabbed by the huge superyachts and cruise ships that stop in Gibraltar to refuel before heading off to the Cote d’Azure and beyond.
5. Night hours that can really challenge and improve your skill set! Sailing at night in and around Gibraltar can be really challenging for the novice sailor. There is no shortage of shipping or navigational challenges from which to learn.
6. Modern, comfortable MCA coded training yachts equipped with the latest electronic navigation and safety equipment for your instruction and safety.
7. We believe in delivering the little extras too. Whether it’s freshly laundered bedding and towels for our students or the fact that our price is an all-inclusive price that includes the week’s berthing costs, fuel, free hire of wet weather clothing (just in case) and even hair dryers, at Jolly Parrot we aim to go the extra nautical mile to deliver what our customers say they want and value.
8. We sail for fun! Whether training, racing or cruising, we sail because we love it and if you are sailing it should be fun - that’s the whole point. Our experienced and professional instructors are chosen by us to deliver the highest level of training in a no-nonsense, plain English approach to training with an emphasis on safety and fun!
9. Unbiased advice on your next recommended course of action. Our instructors and office staff will happily advice you on what we feel are your strengths and weaknesses and tell you truthfully how best to proceed if you want to continue training / learning both formally and informally. We know if we are honest with you - you’ll be more likely to recommend us to your friends. It’s certainly served us well so far!
10. Combine learning with holiday time! We find that many of our less experienced students want to learn to sail - or take their learning further - so that they can charter a yacht with friends and family and go sail in the Med, where it’s warm and sunny. At Jolly Parrot, we offer our students a safe and fun teaching environment in in the Western Med. Take a well earned holiday and learn at the same time!
For more details on what course might suit you best contact us for a friendly chat.