The RYA Day Skipper Course is designed to instruct and coach people with the RYA Competent Crew certificate ot equivalent knowledge to a standard that will allow them to skipper a small yacht in familiar inshore waters during daylight hours. Most people qualify as a RYA Day Skipper before chartering a yacht on flotilla.
There is an expectation that candidates for the RYA Day Skipper Practical Course will have no less than 5 days and 100 nautical miles sailing experience prior to course start with 4 hours sailed at night. Successful candidates will usually have undertaken the RYA Day Skipper Theory element prior to starting their practical course and we strongly recommend all candidates first take the Theory element.
The RYA Day Skipper syllabus includes:
- Preparation for sea
- Deck work
- Navigation and pilotage
- Basic meteorology
- Rules of the road
- Maintenance, basic repair work and understanding diesel engines
- Emergency situations and procedures
- Yacht handling under power and sail
- Passage making and night cruising
At the end of the RYA Day Skipper Practical Course you should be competent to skipper a small yacht in familiar inshore waters during the day.
Click here to see the complete RYA Day Skipper Practical Course Syllabus.
Click here to see our RYA Day Skipper Course Itinerary.
- Minimum Requirements for the RYA Day Skipper Practical Course.
- Recommended Preparation for the RYA Day Skipper Course
- Recommended Reading for the RYA Day Skipper Course
- Gain Your RYA Day Skipper Theory & Practical in just one Week!
- Novice to RYA Day Skipper in 2 weeks! Sail and learn in the sunny Mediterranean!
If you have any questions about the RYA Day Skipper theory or practical courses please contact us on 02380 970824.