If you hold certain RYA qualifications then you may apply have them commercially endorsed. In doing so, you become qualified to work in areas for which the qualification is considered appropriate.
The following certificates can be commercially endorsed;
- Course completion certificates:
- RYA Level 2 Powerboat Handling Certificate
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate (only if issued before 1 January 2005)
- RYA Day Skipper (tidal) practical course completion certificate
- RYA Day Skipper (non-tidal) practical course completion certificate, (only if supported by a Day Skipper shorebased course completion certificate)
Certificates of competence:
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Certificate of Competence
- RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence
In addition, the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and Yachtmaster Ocean Certificates of Competence can receive the STCW endorsement. In order to receive an STCW Endorsement you must also have STCW certificates in Personal Safety & Social Responsibility at Sea, Elementary First Aid, Fire Fighting & Fire Prevention, Personal Survival Techniques.
To obtain commercial endorsement of your certificate you will be required to provide;
- Your original certificate
- A commercial endorsement application form
- An original ENG1 or ML5 Medical certificate (if you plan to work offshore in Cat 1 or 0 waters then you must have an ENG1).
- A copy of your RYA Sea Survival Certificate
- A copy of your First Aid at Sea Certificate
- A copy of your Marine Radio SRC Certificate
- A passport sized photograph with your name on it and, of course,
- A fee
Since April 2012 it has been a requirement for commercial endorsement holders to take the PPR (Professional Practice & Responsibilities Course), as well as all new applicants for endorsement. Endorsements must be revalidated every 5 years. This can be done by providing proof of 150 days or more working at sea (there are exceptions allowed), a valid PPR and a valid medical fitness certificate.
Click here for an RYA Commercial Endorsement Application Form.