This intensive training course is suitable for those aspiring to a professional qualification and in need of advanced skills. It combines our 6 day Yachtmaster Theory Course with 12 days of advanced training and exam preparation under the guidance of one of our highly qualified RYA Yachtmaster instructors.
What's covered on this course?
RYA Yachtmaster Theory - 6 days
You'll start by spending 6 days in our Gibraltar classroom learning advanced navigation, meteorology and consideration for potential issues associated with longer passages. This will include appropriate management of all aspects of your yacht to maximise crew comfort and safety. At the end of this 40 hour training course, you will be prepared to take the RYA Yachtmaster theory exams.
Skipper Enhancement - 5 days
In the first practical stage of your course, you will begin to learn the intricacies of advanced sail trim and the setting and use of storm sails, asymmetric and symmetric spinnakers. We will focus on emergency procedures such as man overboard and engine/power failure as well as power handling in marinas. Also included in this Skipper Enhancement module is boat husbandry, where you will learn the finer points of maintaining a yacht to a high standard to ensure the continuing safety of the crew on board. This is an essential skill for those looking to become a professional skipper.
Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore Prep Week and Exam - 6 Days
This final week of your course will be taken up with your preparation week and practical examination. During this week you will be put through your paces, both theoretically and practically by one of our experienced Yachtmaster Instructors. Your Instructor will ensure that you are competent in all aspects of the syllabus prior to your exam at the end of the week. The exam will be conducted on board the same yacht you have been training on, but will be with an external Examiner. On successful completion of this exam, you will have achieved all the elements to be a fully qualified Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore.
What experience do I need?
For RYA Yachtmaster Coastal
- If you are a RYA Coastal Skipper, you will need 400 logged miles.
- If you do not hold Coastal Skipper, you need to have a minimum of 800 logged miles - half of which must be conducted in tidal waters, within the last 10 years, including 30 days on board, 2 days as skipper and 12 night hours
- Knowledge to the level of YM Theory (check here)
- VHF Certificate
- First Aid Certificate
- Over 17 years old
For RYA Yachtmaster Offshore
- You need to have knowledge to RYA Coastal Skipper or RYA Yachtmaster Coastal level.
- You need to have at least 2500 logged nautical miles - half of which need to be conducted in tidal waters, including at least 5 passages over 60 miles with two overnight and two as skipper.
- VHF Certificate
- First Aid Certificate
- Over 18 years old
- Accommodation on board throughout the course
- Breakfast, lunch, refreshments and two evening meals during the practical phases
- Waterproof clothing
- Bedding and towels
- Safety equipment
- Mooring fees and fuel
- All charts and publications
- RYA Yachtmaster Theory Course
What's not included?
- Examination Fee.
- Examiners travel costs (if applicable)
Upon successful completion of this Extended Yachtmaster Preparation training course you will be awarded the RYA Yachtmaster Theory and RYA Yachtmaster Coastal / Offshore qualification.
Starts: from 18:00. This is an 18 day intensive training course.
See dates below.
Course cost from: £1999
Own cabin option from: £2499
To guarantee your own cabin for the duration of your course, please select available dates below.
Please note: If you choose not to guarantee your own cabin, you may be allocated a saloon berth.
How to book:
It's easy! Just select the training course date you want below. Click on book, confirm that this is the course and date that you want and then complete your details on our secure online booking system. A 25% deposit is all that's needed, with the balance payable 30 days before your course starts.