In order to be granted an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or Yachtmaster Coastal certificate, you must meet the minimum criteria to take the external Yachtmaster examination. You must also hold a GMDSS Radio Operators Certificate and a First Aid Certificate. The RYA run a 1-day First Aid course for students which leads to certification.
However, during the current COVID-19 crisis the RYA have made some exceptions for students. They are set out below;
You may choose to take the RYA First Aid Course or use alternative first aid qualifications, providing the course meets the minimum requirements given below.
Course duration: 1 day with at least 6 hours of instructional time.
Any course that is not the RYA First Aid at Sea Course must cover the following;
- Understand the role of a first aider in regard to:
- The importance of preventing cross-infection
- The need for recording and/or reporting incidents and accident
- Assessing a scenario and circumstances to ensure they act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency
- Can perform CPR to current protocols, and understand the differential for drowning.
- Understand the importance of the recovery position and the need to modify it for small spaces.
- Can administer first aid to those who are unconscious
- Can identify types of external bleeding and control bleeding
- Can use appropriate dressings, bandages and other first aid equipment available, including improvised dressings and bandages.
- Understand the term shock, recognise and treat it
- Can recognise and understands the treatment for hypothermia following immersion and/or exposure.
- Recognise the signs of a reduced level of response, with particular reference to serious head injuries.
- Can administer suitable first aid for:
- breathing difficulties
- chest pain
- diabetic emergency
- burns, including scalds, chemical and electrical
- minor injuries including small cuts, grazes, bruises and small splinters
- Can choose suitable first aid equipment
Other accredited courses considered acceptable include the MCA Proficiency in Medical First Aid and the MCA Proficiency in Medical Care. Accreditations vary between every 3 and every 5 years.
- What's the difference between RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and RYA Yachtmaster Coastal?
- The Minimum Requirements for the RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Exam
- The Minimum Requirements for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Examination
- Why you should take your RYA Yachtmaster Exam in the Mediterranean
- Books for Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation